The second in the 4c’s, and probably the most confusing.
How is Diamond Clarity graded?
Clarity is broken in ranges from Flawless to Included, the full breakdown from GIA is below and ill discuss them all after
- Internally Flawless (IF) No inclusions visible under 10x magnification
- Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1 and VVS2) Inclusions so slight they are difficult for a skilled grader to see under 10x magnification
- Very Slightly Included (VS1 and VS2) Inclusions are observed with effort under 10x magnification, but can be characterized as minor
- Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2) Inclusions are noticeable under 10x magnification
- Included (I1, I2, and I3) Inclusions are obvious under 10x magnification which may affect transparency and brilliance
What does this mean for me?
The first thing you’ll notice is that they all are based on viewing the diamond under 10X magnification. So you should probably ask yourself
- Will I or anyone I know be looking at my ring with a magnifier?..
- So you see the certificate indicates what and where the inclusions are, but you still cant see them, Is this going to bother you?
I cant imagine why..
- Am I willing to pay thousands more for something that looks identical to the naked eye?
Its entirely up to you!!
How does this effect my purchase?
If your answer is no to any of these questions, congratulations, you’ve saved yourself alot of money.
If you can buy an SI rated diamond that is completely eye clean to you, why wouldn’t you?
Check your diamond
Jewellers use a variety of lighting techniques to show jewellery to best effect. This can often make it difficult to visually inspect your diamond, when all you can see is sparkle. It is best viewed in diffuse natural daylight and in partial shadow. Don’t be afraid to move around when viewing a diamond to see it in a variety of lighting conditions, take your time, as this will give you a better feel for it.
Most importantly, at the end of the day it is entirely up to you- if you want to spend the money on Internally flawless, then Internally Flawless you should get.
Get in in touch with Diamant at https://www.diamant.ie/contact/